Himachal Pradesh.co.in

Hamirpur District

Hamirpur District is found in the southwestern part of Himachal Pradesh. It has a total area of 4,121.9 square kilometers, which are populated by some 412,009 people, according to the Indian census taken in 2001. The population density is 369 people per square kilometer and the aggregate literacy rate is fairly high, at 83.16%. Hamirpur district is surrounded by Kangra district to the north and northwest, Mandi district to the east, the district of Bilaspur to the south and the district of Una to the west. The district headquarters is the town of Hamirpur.

In the old days, the district was ruled by the Katoch dynasty, who had dominion in the area between the Ravi and Satluj rivers. According to passages from the Puranas and Ashtadhyai, Hamirpur was part of the Jallandhar-Trigarta empire during the Mahabharata period, and its people are often described as great warriors and fighters. Evidently, this still holds true even today because a large percentage of the Indian defense forces comes from this region; Hamirpuris can be found among the Indian forces of Dogra, Granadiers, JAKRIF and even the paramilitary forces such as the Assam Rifles.

During the ancient periods, the region belonging to the modern-day Hamirpur district was under the rule of several dynasties and kingdoms such as the Guptas, Timurlang, the sultans and, in later years, several warring tribes. However, it was the Katoch dynasty who put these tribes under control and ensured an orderly society. Thus, it came to be that the district is closely associated with the Katochs.

The district (as well as the town’s) present name is derived from Hamir Chand, one of the rulers of the Katoch dynasty who reigned from 1700 to 1740. He was the one who built the fort at Hamirpur. However, the place only became prominent during the reign of Raja Sansar Chand II, who made Sujanpur Tira as his capital and constructed temples and palaces there. He ruled from 1775 to 1823, when he was ultimately defeated. The area was then under the control of the Sikhs until they were defeated by the British army in the first Anglo-Sikh war. Hamirpur district became a part of the British Empire and became a part of the district of Kangra. Kangra was annexed in 1846 and Nadaun was made its administrative subdivision, which was transferred to Hamirpur in 1868. Hamirpur remained a part of the Punjab until November 1, 1966 when Himachal Pradesh was formed. On September 1, 1972, the districts were rearranged and Hamirpur was finally created as a separate district, with the original tehsils being Hamirpur and Barsar. Over the years, several more tehsils were added.

The district’s economy is largely agriculture based, with the major crops being wheat, gram and barley. Rice and maize are also abundant. The people speak dialects of western Pahari, with the dialects akin to those spoken in the adjoining districts of Mandi, Kangra and Bilaspur. The nearest broad gauge railway station is located in the district of Una while the nearest narrow gauge is found at Ranital. By land, Hamirpur can be approached from Shimla, Pathankot and Chandigarh.

Kangra District

Kangra District is the most populous district of Himachal Pradesh. It is located in the west of the state, occupying an area of 55,673 square kilometers. The 2001 Indian Census pegs the district’s population at 1,339,030, with a population density of 233 people per square kilometer. Kangra District is bounded by the district of Chamba to the north, Kullu to the east, and Una and Hamirpur districts to the south. Lahul and Spiti district can be found to the northeast while Mandi district occupies the southeast. The states of Punjab and Jammu and Kashmir borders Kangra on the southwest and northwest, respectively. The city of Dharamsala is the district’s headquarters, which also happens to be the headquarters of the Tibetan government-in-exile, and where His Holiness the Dalai Lama is based.

Known for the oldest serving Royal Dynasty in the world, the Katoch lineage, Kangra first became a district of British India in 1846, after it was ceded to the latter after the conclusion of the First Anglo-Sikh War, which resulted in the partial subjugation of the Sikh empire. Back then, the district also included the present-day districts of Kullu, Hamirpur and Lahul and Spiti, and was part of the Punjab, which was then a British province. At first, the district headquarters was located at the town of Kangra, but this was eventually moved to Dharamsala in 1855.

When India gained its independence in 1947, the British province of Punjab was partitioned between India and Pakistan, leading to the western portion to become the Indian state of Punjab. Since then, the original members of the former Punjab province became districts: Lahul and Spiti in 1960, Kullu in 1962 and Hamirpur in 1972, after it was separated from Kangra. Kangra and Una were added to Himachal Pradesh in 1966, which eventually became a state in 1971.

Geographically, the district lies in the low foothills of the Himalayas, in the Dhauladhar mountain range. The Beas, one of the district’s larger rivers, contribute much to the fertility of the land but due to the hilly terrain, not much of it is cultivated. The whole district is full of uniform patches of barren land, interspersed with small forests. Even so, the economy consists mostly of agriculture and farming, with tea cultivation, in particular, contributing a vital role in the revenue; the Kangra Tea is an internationally famous variety of tea.

Tourism is also a significant contributor to Kangra’s economy, mainly due to the fact that the district has several tourist destinations, both natural and man-made. The Kangra Art Musuem, for instance, displays valley arts and crafts, some of which date back to the 5th century. Its collection includes famous paintings, sculptures and anthropological items that have historic as well as contemporary value. Another famous tourist spot is the historical Kangra Fort, which was built by the founder of the Katoch dynasty, Ranjanka Bhumi Chand in the 11th century. It is the largest fort in the Himalayas, and is largely acknowledged to be the oldest fort in all of India. At present, the Archaeological Survey of India oversees and manages the fort.

Solan District

Solan district is one of the 12 districts of Himachal Pradesh. It occupies a geographical area of 1,936 square kilometers, divided into five administrative divisions or tehsils: Arki, Kandaghat, Kasauli, Nalagarh and Solan. It lies at an altitude of 1,350 meters above sea level, as characteristic of the topography of the region. Like most of the districts of Himachal Pradesh, Solan lies cradles near a mountain range, in this case the Shivalik Ranges.

The district is bounded by the district of Shimla in the north, Sirmaur district in the east and the district of Bilaspur to the west. Two districts from two other states bound it in the south: the Ropar district of Punjab and the Ambala district of Haryana. The northeast is touched by the district of Mandi. According to the 2001 Indian Census, the total population of Solan is 500,557, with a large part of it living in the rural areas. The population density of the whole district is 258 people per square kilometers. Hindu is the predominant religion as well as culture, and the predominant language is Hindi. The district’s administrative headquarters is the town of Solan.

The district’s name comes from its administrative headquarters Solan town, which itself was named after the goddess Soloni Devi, whose temple is located in the town’s southern end, and which came into existence after the construction of the cantonment in the area around the last quarter of the 19th century. The district was comprised of the princely states of Bhagal, Kunihar, Kuthar, Bhagat, Mangal, Nalagarh, Mahlog, Beja and Keonthal and Kothi, as well as the hilly areas of the composite Punjab state when it was merged with Himachal Pradesh on November 1, 1966 during the Punjab reorganization on the basis of linguistic matters. These states were mostly small both in population and area and before the independence of India, they were under the rule of the superintendent of the Shimla Hill States. When Himachal Pradesh came into being on April 15, 1948 as the Chief Commissioner’s Province of H.P., the states of Bhagat, Baghal, Kuthar, Kunihar, Beja, Mangal, Koti and Keonthal formed a part of what was then Mahasu district. The remaining state of Nalagarh was merged with Patiala after the independence. The East Punjab State Union later formed a part of Punjab during the state reorganization in 1956 and the other districts became part of Himachal Pradesh on November 1, 1972. Solan eventually became a separate district of the new state.

Solan’s claim to fame is the famous Mohan Meakin Brewery which was established in 1855, and is Asia’s first brewery. Coupled with sprawling horticulture, forest universities and pleasant climate all year round, Solan district has become a favorite stopover by tourists regardless of season. There are also several important and interesting places tourists can visit, such as Kasauli, a quaint hill station 1,795 meters above mean sea level, which still retains its 19th century ambiance, and the Bon Monastery, which is said to be the second oldest monastery in the world. All in all, Solan district is a place that is worthy of a peek by any traveler to India.

Kufri

Kufri is one of Himachal Pradesh’s hill stations and it is located in the district of Shimla. The station is tiny, but it is one of the more popular spots in the district, what with its proximity to the Himalayan Wildlife Zoo Park and the Indira Tourist Park. It is located some 13 kilometers from Shimla, the capital city of Himachal Pradesh. Like the other hill stations, it is elevated, with the area having an average elevation of 2,743 meters. As of the Indian Census of 2001, the town has a population of only 1,148 people. Skiing and hiking enthusiasts usually make up a big percentage of the tourists and visitors who drop by the hill station on a regular basis.

Because of the fact that Kufri is situated very close to the much more historically important city of Shimla, the former’s history is irrevocably interlinked with that of the latter. The region around Shimla (which included Kufri) was formerly part of the kingdom of Nepal before the British annexed it in December 2, 1815 when the Sugauli Treaty was signed between British East India Company and Nepal, shortly following the Gurkha War. However, Kufri wasn’t brought to the attention of the rest of the world until 1819, when the British discovered it and were impressed with the fresh air and beauty of the area. When Shimla gained its status as summer capital in 1864, Kufri also became more and more known as an important place to visit near Shimla. Since then, it has stepped away from the capital’s shadow and has become a famous destination in its own right.

Summers (between April to June) in Kufri are marked by a pleasant and mild atmosphere coupled with beautiful scenery and fresh mountain air that is very conducive to hiking and trekking. Photographers will also have a field day since the air is very clear, making for great pictures and vistas. There are also several places a tourist can go, especially if they’re avid nature lovers, such as the Indira Tourist Park, which provides a panoramic view of everything the region has to offer. For hikers and adventure-lovers, a trek to Mashru Peak should never be passed off, as it is the highest point in Kufri. Once on top, if the day is particularly clear, one can have a glimpse of the Badrinath and Kedarnath ranges without any obstruction, natural or man-made. One can also take a ride with yaks, which is an experience that is very singular as there are only a few places that allow a tourist to do so.

During winters, between November to February, the town comes alive with layers of snow. Skiiers will have a field day in Kufri as the place has a wide range of skiing slopes, from the beginner’s run, an advanced run and a slalom run. February is also when the Annual Winter Sports are held, where skiiers from around the world gather to participate in the famous festival. Tobogganing is also a popular sport during the winter months, and tourist influx is at its peak during this period so a visitor will always have the opportunity to meet and hobnob with other tourists.

Kasauli

Kasauli is located in the Solan district of Himachal Pradesh. It is a small British cantonment as well as a hill station, established by the colonial rulers in 1842. The hill town is the neighbor of Shimla (77 kilometers away), Chandigarh (65 kilometers away) and Panchkula (50 kilometers away). Kasauli, as is common with hill stations, is situated in an elevated position, with an average elevation of 1,795 meters above mean sea level. Like other hill stations, the town does not have a large population, with only 4,994 people as of the 2001 Indian census. In spite of rapid social development and modernization, Kasauli still retains the old world charms of yesteryear with its gabled houses, quaint shops and cobbled pathways that coupled with the breathtaking and serene view common with hill stations, will make any visitor feel positively calm and refreshed.

There are many theories as to where Kasauli got its name. One states that in the 17th century, when the political scene in India was turbulent, several Rajput families hailing from Rewari (which is now Haryana) fled from their homes. They traveled to the lower Himalayas, where they settled in a village called Kasul, named so because of a spring that kept gushing water throughout the year. Today, this spring serves as the source of the water for modern day Kasauli; the name itself was a gradual metamorphosis from Kasul. Another story also states that Kasauli comes from Kausalya, the name of a mountain spring that flows between Kasauli and Jabli. Still, another states that the name probably comes from Kusmawali or Kusmali, which means flower maiden, referring to the place’s valley that flowers almost all year.

The region was included in the Gurkha expansion in the early 19th century, which was opposed by the British in conjunction with some local tribal leaders. When the Gurkhas finally ceded the fort in Sabathu, the British nationals turned the place into a convalescent home. Later, the Governor-General Lord Amherst decided to turn Shimla Hills into a summer retreat for British officials and Colonel Tapp, an agent at Sabathu, came to survey the Kasauli area. Kasauli was finally developed into a cantonment and British sanatorium shortly thereafter, and most of the houses that were bought by the Punjab princely families and by the Indian generals after India’s independence are still being maintained well even today. In 1841, Henry and Honoria Lawrence built a cottage in Kasauli from where they could see their infant daughter’s grave whom they just buried, and from this beginning, the hill station of Kasauli grew. It still retains its melancholic and subdued air until now, even with a population that’s more than 4,000 strong.

There are notable landmarks and industries in Kasauli. It is the home of the Kasauli Brewery, regarded as the highest brewery and distillery in the world, at an elevation of 1,828 meters above sea level. The Kasauli Club, one of India’s most prestigious social clubs, is also located there. The Club’s membership is so exclusive and sought after that there’s an average waiting time of 15 years. Hikers and trailblazers will also find that Kasauli has many outdoor trails where one can experience the serenity of nature, especially since the town is largely untouched by modernization.

Chamba District

Chamba District is one of the 12 districts of Himachal Pradesh. It contains some of Northern India’s more popular hill stations, such as Dalhousie and Khajjiar. The district is bounded by the state of Jammu and Kashmir on the northwest and west, the district of Lahaul and Spiti on the east, the district of Kangra on the south, and the district of Gurdaspur of the state of Punjab on the southwest.

Chamba district has a total area of 6,528 square kilometers, which makes up 11.72% of the total area of Himachal Pradesh, populated by 460,499 people, as of the 2001 Indian Census. As is common in the regions of northern India, most of the district is pretty much mountainous and surrounded on all sides by lofty hill ranges, with the elevation ranging from 600 meters to 6400 meters. The climate is also varied, ranging from semi-tropical to semi-arctic.

Chamba district is one of the oldest princely states in India, with a history that dates back to the 6th century. It is generally believed that the area that the present district now occupies was for some time inhabited by some Kolian tribes, which were later brought under control by the Khasas. In the 4th century, the Thankurs and Ranas controlled the region and in the 7th century, the Rajput dynasties came to power.

It is in A.D. 500, however, when the princely state of Chamba had its roots, when a legendary hero called Maru migrated to the northwest and founded Brahmaputra in an area 75 kilometers east of the present Chamba town. His successors ruled over that area for many centuries until Sahilla Varman shifted his capital to the plateau in the lower Ravi valley. He named this town Champa, after his beloved daughter. It eventually became Chamba.

From then on, the rajas of Chamba continue to rule uninterrupted, and from a direct line of descent. Across the centuries, Chamba never had serious troubles with other invading kingdoms, even from the powerful Mughals. In the 19th century, Chamba came under protection of the Sikh Kingdom, but when that slowly disintegrated, it was decided that Chamba be merged with Jammu and Kashmir, but was taken under British control instead. In April 15, 1948, after India’s independence, three principal states were formed to make Himachal Pradesh, and Chamba was among them, becoming a district of the new state.

The main tourist attractions in Chamba district are mostly located in Chamba town and include:

1) Bhuri Singh Museum, which opened on September 9, 1908. It is named after the Raja Bhuri Singh who ruled Chamba from 1904 to 1919. The museum has paintings of Ramayana and Bhagwat Purana in a peculiar style inspired by Basohli idiom of painting. There are also coins, hill jewelries and musical instruments with various decorative objects.

2) Vajreshwari Temple, which is reputed to be 1000 years old. It was dedicated to the goddess of lightning, Devi Vajreshwari. It is located in the northern-most corner of the town at the end of Jansali Bazaar. It is built in the Shikhara style and stands on a platform.

3) Khajjiar Lake stands at an altitude of 1,951 meters above sea level, and is located at the grassy glade of Khajjiar some 20 kilometers from the town of Dalhousie. This lake is the main water source of the area of Kaltop, in the Chamba desert.

Parwanoo

Parwanoo is a hill station and town in the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh, although it is smaller than other hill stations. It is also a local government in the municipality of the district it is on, Solan. The town is located near the border of Himachal Pradesh’s neighboring state, Haryana, specifically in its district of Panchkula. The National Highway No. 22 runs along it, so anyone who is planning on reaching it by road can do so. The towns around it are Pinjore and Kalka, with the latter separated from it by a river bed. As of the 2001 India census, the population of Parwanoo was 8,609 although this has reportedly increased to 9,890 to date. The town has four educational institutions, and these contribute to Parwanoo’s average literacy rate of 73%, which is markedly higher than the national average of 59.5%. Like most hill stations, the topography of Parwanoo is mountainous, with the elevations ranging from 762 to 914 meters above mean sea level. It is situated in the foot of the Shivalik mountain range, which is a part of the outer Himalayas regions.

Historically, the town derived its name from a village situated near the place where Sector 1A is today. The village was called “Ooncha Parwanoo”. In 1973, two years after Himachal Pradesh was recognized as a full-fledged state, the town was developed and industry was established. The first C.M. Of Himachal Pradesh, visionary leader Sh. Y. S. Parmar, recognized the importance of industrialization as a catalyst for the economic growth of the hilly, newly-established state. When he saw the town of Parwanoo, he sensed the potential of the town for development as an industrial hub, especially since it is just adjacent to the plains of Haryana. He personally developed the necessary infrastructure and to promote growth and advancement, he offered incentives to entrepreneurs to set up their businesses there. Incentives include exemption from taxes as well as financial support for expansion of existing projects. As a result, what was once a small, quiet village is now a booming industrial town that is primarily known for its pharmaceutical and food processing industries, although other industries such as plastic, motor parts and watch components are also present. Almost 80% of the population are engaged in an industry in one way or another.

Aside from the thriving industry, Parwanoo is also a good choice for tourists to visit. Like other hill stations, the town has a scenic and natural beauty that is a good departure from the harsh industrial look of the urban jungle. The drive to Parwanoo is dotted with beautiful views of twisting roads and soaring peaks, as well as verdant and lush meadows and woodlands. Since becoming a tourist destination, several hotels and restaurants have sprung up in the area to accommodate the tourists and visitors that flock in to take in the sights and engage in leisure activities. Parwanoo also offers excursions and trekking trips for those who want to engage in a more active activity while taking in the beauty of nature.

Palampur

Among the hill stations and towns in northern India, there is arguably little that compares to Palampur, both in popularity and importance. Located in the Kangra Valley near the Dhauladhar mountain ranges of the state of Himachal Pradesh, Palampur rises at an altitude of 1,291 meters (roughly 4,236 feet) above mean sea level. It gained its fame and popularity mostly because of its picturesque and breath-taking snow-clad mountains and tea gardens. In fact, Palampur is dubbed as the tea capital of northern India, with the tea gardens located between 800 to 1600 meters above mean sea level. The city’s scenery presents both a sublime and awe-inspiring contrast: whereas the plain shows a perfect picture of rural calmness and simplicity, the mountains that serve as the region’s backdrops are grand and majestic.

Palampur got its name from the local word “pulum,” which means water. This is undoubtedly due to the fact that the town has a natural abundance of water, with countless streams and brooks crisscrossing the landscape. Its proximity to the Dhauladhar mountain range caused it to have a mild climate that is common among hill stations and elevated towns. This, in turn, makes it a very good place for tourists both domestic and international to spend their summer vacations in. The climate is healthy, and it is often said that the pine-scented air of the place has curative abilities. The town is also popular for its colonial architecture, temple and buildings, a legacy from the British colonial rule in the 19th century. Since Palampur is situated in and around the middle of the Kangra Valley, it is often a good starting point to explore the surroundings.

The town used to be a part of the Sikh kingdom, before the British came and colonized India, after which it came under British rule. It was also one of the leading hill states during that time, and was once a part of the Jalandhar kingdom. When the Superintendent of Botanical Gardens, Dr. Jameson, introduced the tea bush in 1849, the modern town of Palampur was established. The bush thrived and with it, so did the town and its fame, and it became the focus of the tea estate owners from Europe. Since then, the Palampur’s Kanga tea has become known not just in India, but around the world.

Aside from the famous tea and its scenic beauty, Palampur also has several attractions that may interest tourists and visitors – indeed, the place is currently being developed as a large tourist center, with a ropeway and an amusement park slated to be constructed there. Among the existing tourist attractions are the Neughal Khad, a 305-meter wide chasm that falls over 100 meters down to a Bundla stream, running over stony ground. During the monsoon season, the stream becomes a raging river. The Neughal Khad also offers a breath-taking view of the Dhauladhar mountain range. Another attraction is the Baijnath, a popular pilgrimage center for Hindus in the Kangra district. It is said that the oldest existing Shiva temple in all of India can be found here, believed to have been built by the Pandavas.

Palampur is also a good place for trekking and hiking, both within the town and to nearby towns. Paragliding is also a popular sport, with Billing being an important center for the adventure recreation. The town is also famous for its Tibetan handicrafts.

Dharamsala

Dharamsala is a city that also serves as the district headquarters of the Himachal Pradesh district of Kangra. It has a total covered area of 29 square kilometers and, as of the 2001 Indian census, has a population of 19,034 people. It has a high literacy rate at 77%, which is significantly higher than the national average of 59.5%. Dharamsala is perched on a spur of the Dhauladhar mountain range in the Kangra Valley, at an altitude of about 1,457 meters above mean sea level. It is counted as one of the most famous tourist destinations of India, mainly due to its rich historical past as well as its spiritual significance.

There isn’t much known about the ancient history of Dharamsala but it is widely acknowledged that the earliest tribes to have settled in the area were the Dasas, a warrior tribe that were later assimilated by the Aryans. The name was taken from the Hindu word Dharamshala, which means “sanctuary”.

The city’s modern history started in 1848, when the British empire annexed the place and, a year later, established a military garrison in the town. In 1852, Dharamsala became the administrative capital of Kangra District. There were two main areas at this time: the McLeod Ganj and Forsyth Ganj. In 1860, the Gurkha Light Infantry was transferred to Dharamsala from Kangra.

In 1905, The Kangra Valley suffered a major earthquake and destroyed the cantonment in Dharamsala, which was never re-settled. The residents were then relocated to the safety of Lower Dharamsala; at that time, the place consisted of nothing more than a jail, a cobbler’s shop and a police station. In time, Dharamsala became a popular spot for British workers assigned in or near Delhi to escape the summer heat. This ended in 1947, when India finally gained its independence.

1959 was the start of the establishment of the Tibetan settlement in Dharamsala, when the Dalai Lama had to flee Tibet after a failed uprising against the Chinese. The Prime Minister of India allowed the religious leader and his followers to settle in McLeod Ganj (Upper Dharamsala), where they established a government-in-exile in 1960. Now, several thousand Tibetans in exile have also settled in the town, where they have built monasteries, schools and temples. All this sometimes causes the town to be called as “Little Lhasa” after the Tibetan capital city, and has become an important tourist destination, boosting the town’s tourism and commerce.

The town is divided into two different parts: Upper Dharamsala or McLeod Ganj, which has a height of nearly 1,800 meters, and Lower Dharamsala, which has a height of about 1,250 meters. The former is primarily a Tibetan area and houses the residence of the Dalai Lama while the latter is inhabited mostly by Indians. The town can be reached by railway via the Pathankot line and from there, requires a three-hour journey to the town. By road, there are bus services from Delhi via Kiratpur, Chandigarh and Bilaspur. The journey takes about eight hours. The nearest airport is located at Gaggal in Kangra which is just 15 kilometers away.

Nurpur

Nurpur is a city located in the northwestern part of Kangra district in Himachal Pradesh. The city only has a population of 9,045 people, according to the 2001 India census. Of these, men constitute 52% of the population while the women make up the remaining 48%. The literacy rate is higher than that of the 59.5% national average, with the males having a literacy of 81% and the females, 75% averaging to an overall 78%. The city has an elevation of 643 meters above sea level.

Nurpur was founded in the 11th century by Raja Jhet Pal, who was the younger brother of the ruler of Delhi. It reached its peak during the reign of Raja Basu, from 1580 to 1613, who built an impressive fort that can still be seen today. When the Mughal empire conquered northern India, Raja Basu’s son staged a rebellion which was quelled.

Originally, the city was known as Dhameri. This was changed when it was visited by Queen Nur Jehan, the wife of the Mughal emperor Nuruddin Salim Jahangir, who ruled between 1569 to 1627. The legend goes that upon visiting the town, the queen was so awestruck by its natural beauty and richness that she decided to stay there for the rest of her life. This decision made the local administration worry since the Mughal empire at that time were expanding across India and the local leaders of Dhameri did not want their peaceful town to be a central point for Mughal domination and influenced by external politics. So, to deal with this without offending the queen and suffering the wrath of the Mughal empire, they devised a simple but effective plan. They advised the queen that staying in their town for a long period of time could spoil her great beauty, and that there is also a fictitious local disease in town that might afflict her. This terrified the queen so much that she hurriedly left. The little experience wasn’t in vain, however, as in 1622, the name of the town was changed to Nurpur in honor of the Mughal queen who fell in love with the beauty of the place.

Before India gained independence in 1947, Nurpur was a princely state that was under the rule of the Pathania clan of Rajputs. Until India consolidated the princely states into new states, the Pathania clan had ruled Nurpur for more than eight centuries.

The main attraction of Nurpur is the massive and sprawling Nurpur Fort, built by Raja Basu in the late 16th century. It spreads across a long, flat plateau and forms the western end of the ridge, overlooking the Jhabar Khud, a tributary of the Chakki rivulet. The architectural designs are masterfully done and while it is in ruins now, there are still some finely carved reliefs found in the walls. The fort also has a 16th century idol of Lord Krishna, which still attracts tourists from around the country.